Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Part 2 Changes Coming Soon


The first 4 photos of my Courtyard Wall Garden were taken on June 12, 2015...just this spring/summer.  This photo is the front view of the Garden...from the street.  Those are Invincibelle Hydrangeas.  The photo below is taken from the very back edge of my courtyard garden, looking toward the street.  The front wall has Little Lamb Hydrangeas...a step up from the Invincibelle Hydrangeas street-side.  Along the side wall, are...
Annabelle Hydrangeas - a total of 6 of them there.  In between the Annabelles are a few newer and small plants from last year...including Spanish Lavender.

 Here is a Close-up of the Little Lambs before they bloom in mid-July.
  This is the front-side corner of the garden.

If you missed my last post about the Work I was going to be doing in the Garden, you can read it and see additional "Blooming" photos of it Here.

Now for some BIG CHANGES to the Garden!
Are You Ready?
As you can see, I've been busy!  I began by chopping back the Invincibelle Hydrangeas on the lower level of the street-side section of the wall garden.  Then I chopped down the Little Lamb Hydrangeas on the inside of the front wall.

No, I'm not crazy!  I didn't just wake up one morning - walk out and get my hedge trimmers and chop away at these plants.  I planned to do this job.  I was tired of the height {some of my hydrangeas towered at 4 1/2 feet tall in an already 3 1/2 foot tall garden wall.  Yes, the privacy was nice...but I was ready for a change.  I decided to get rid of the Hydrangeas in the wall garden after we had 6 1/2 inches of rain, high winds and hail - all in less than a week.  I couldn't bear to take any photos of the bent over, destroyed, twisted, awful looking mess that was left of the hydrangeas.  Just let me say, it was devastating.  

And...I was looking for a new "look" for my garden.  After all the happenings of the past 3 1/2 months - with my husband suddenly and unexpectedly moved out on me...I was definitely in need of of my own changes.  Now, I really am liking the open area...being able to see out when sitting on the patio.
Front Side Corner
 Side Wall with chopped down Annabelle Hydrangeas
I chopped off about 3 feet of hydrangeas...next step will be digging them out.  I have inquired from my lawn guy as to what he would charge to dig them out for me.  I can't wait to have them gone.

All in all, I have chopped down ALL 19 Hydrangeas.  You may have noticed, I didn't include any photos of the back wall of my garden, because I just finished chopping chopped those 5 plants down yesterday!  .

It took 18 of these Lawn Waste Bags to dispose of the materials from my  garden properly.

Yes, 18 of these bags...and they were very heavy.  To get them to the curb for pick-up, I had to get them up on a lawn chair, then lift them to my shoulder.  I didn't want to hurt my back or hips trying to carry them in front of me.

Now...for the BEST news...I have lost {update} 46# doing all of this and more - and have increased my stamina in doing strenuous jobs.  I guess I'll have to have one of the Pups take a picture of the new me!  I wish that was possible.

With highs in the in the low 80's, dew points near 60...it's been much more comfortable working outside.

I still have several more things I will be doing in my Courtyard, including building a "potty" area for the Pups and staining the Porch.   Keep an eye out for further updateson all that stuff.
Have a wonderful Summer!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, girl, you have been busy! I can't believe you chopped all of those down by yourself. I do believe you did it, just know it was a lot of hard work. Maybe you could just plant some pretty groundcovers in your planters and you'd be able to control your view then. Congratulations on loosing all of your weight and that probably helped you in doing all of this chopping! :) We're gonna have to nickname you, Chopper! ;) Take care of yourself. Oh, I was wondering, the crazy guy who bowled you over a few years ago, is he still living next to you?
    Be a sweetie and take a long soak,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan, what a huge job. You have been so busy. I know you will have a new amazing plan for the wall and gain your privacy too.
    My goodness 42 pounds is a lot of weight. Congrats on that achievement, but please don't get sick. Pace yourself with the work load and rest when you can. Blessings my friend and as always you remain in my prayers.
    Have a nice rest of the weekend. Stay cool too!! Hugs, cm

    ReplyDelete