Monday, July 13, 2015

Part 1 - Spring 2015 Hydrangeas

June 12, 2015
Take a Good Look Around, I've loved my Hydrangea Garden...It's been this way for 7 years now.  But, there are alot of changes coming.

These plants have just gotten too big for the wall garden, The wall itself is over 3' tall...and the plants are at the very least...4' tall.  In the rain and the wind of the late spring/early summer have taken a toll on the plants...all of them!  Leaves are turning yellow...Plants look awful {I didn't even want to take any pictures...
AFTER the storms, the plants looked so bad}...The hydrangeas split down the center of the plants, with hydrangeas touching the patio floor inside the patio and the ground on the outside of the wall.  Stems were broken and twisted.  And the weight of the plants hanging over could even destroy the "block stacked wall" of the garden.
June 22, 2015
So...I have begun the task of cutting down and bagging up the hydrangeas.  Then the big task of removing the plants will begin.  For the rest of 2015, I won't have much of a garden at all.  Hopefully, in 2016 things will begin looking better.

This courtyard roughly measures 53' x 15'.  That's 795 square feet of patio space that's enclosed for the Pups...and me!  The Garden wall outside measurements are 66' by 20'.   Each plant measures about 4' x 3' by 4' tall.

To give you an idea of just how big these hydrangea plants are, each plant, when chopped down to about a foot high, fills a compostable paper bag that is 30 gallons in size.  I will need 18 bags!  Each one of the Hydrangea flowers is bigger than my hand!  They are huge.  I have to cut the stems or bend and break the stems in order to be able to squash the cut plants into each bag.  It's alot of work!  Especially for a girl like me who isn't an outdoors-kind-of-gal!

When it comes to digging the plants out, I may have to call in the Big Guns...my yard maintenance guys.  I'm sure 2 big, strong young guys could make quick work out of removing those plants.  OR...let's just put it this way...They could do it a heck of alot faster than I could!!

I haven't fully decided what I will plant in my wall garden beginning next year...but whatever I plant will be smaller than these hydrangeas!!  And, they will take alot let work!

So, if you don't see me around blogland alot this summer, this is where I'll be!

I will always remember my Hydrangea Garden...


5 comments:

  1. Hi Jan! Oh, no! Your beautiful hydrangeas! Too bad the storm ruined them and I guess they just got too big for their britches so to speak? I love the privacy your wall gives you and not to mention a place for your pups to play. Don't work too hard.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hydrangeas are gorgeous. I check mine daily and still no blooms this year. The plant is beautiful still no blooms. I'm so sorry you have to cut them down, be careful and take care of you during the process. I'll look forward to seeing what you plant in the area. fondly ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan!!
    Hydrangeas, just look at yours-what I wouldn't do for just one single plant and just look at you too many!! Oh, have you just filled your home with numerous bouquets everywhere?? So, what is your secret, please share!
    Hugs,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jan, Oh I am so sorry you have to remove your hydrangeas. You surely grow the best I've ever seen. Mine are huge but no buds or blooms yet. Too much rain maybe this year? Anyway, I love your patio area. It's so private and spacious. I know you will refill the area wall with something just as pretty. Don't work too hard and take lots of breaks. Maybe you can dry some of this years blooms. Thanks for stopping by my creative space for a visit. Enjoy the day my sweet friend.
    Hugs and Blessings always, cm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I planted 4 hydrangeas earlier this spring and they are really struggling in the Texas heat. I hope they will someday grow to be as lovely as yours.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete