Monday, March 31, 2014

My Childhood Home - West Allis, Wisconsin

This house tour is slightly different than most of my Tours.  First, it's a much lower priced home...it has a mattress on the porch, standing against a window...and it's in an older suburb of Milwaukee, called West Allis.  It's only 2 blocks away from the Catholic School I attended from 1st through 6th
Grade.  It's the house my Grandmother owned until she went in a Nursing Home and eventually passed away.  My mom, dad, sister and I lived on the first floor, while my Grandmother lived upstairs.

 The first floor had 2 bedrooms, large living room (which was actually the living room and dining room combined), kitchen and the only bathroom.  Off the kitchen was a screen porch, which had storage benches all around it, that my dad built.  Upstairs consisted of 2 rooms.  The room at the front, where the 2 windows are, was the bigger of them.  It was the living room and sleeping room.  The other, which was at the top of the stairs, my grandmother used as her mini-kitchen, with a hot plate and food storage for packaged goods.  There were closets and attic space storage too.

The picture above shows the door from the kitchen, which now exits directly outside, to a deck...and alot of garbage.  This is now a foreclosure property.  On both sides of our home when I lived there were old people.  One was an older couple and the lady had a huge garden, occupying the entire back yard - all flowers.  The other were 2 single older brothers...quiet and very nice. 
Here's the living room, with a wacky - looks like metal - front door...dirty carpet and some type of painting technique on the walls.  To the left in the top photo, the door was my parent's bedroom.  In the bottom photo, the doorway there on the right, was my sister's and my bedroom.  Straight ahead through the door, on the left, is the bathroom, to the right is the kitchen, basement doorway and back door.  Straight ahead, you see the stairs to my Grandma's rooms. 
This kitchen doesn't look any better than it did before it obviously was remodeled.  It used to have aqua metal cabinets and stove.  It also had 4x8' sheets of vinyl looking tile to the middle of the window on the walls.  If I remember correctly, it was black and white.  Across from the sink is where the door to outside is and next to that door on the window side, was where the refrigerator stood and on the other side, is the basement door.     
The bathroom had the vinyl sheets on the walls and the same floor that's there now.  Different tub, obviously and had no shower.
There was a wall-hung sink, so that's been updated.
The one-car garage, held my dad's precious and current car.  An Oldsmobile, a Mercury, a Ford and then when I was in high school, his Model A Ford, which he was about to restore, sat there, until he was ready to bring it to our new home, which we moved into in 1965.
Where you can see all the weeds in the snow, was where my mom planted a vegetable garden and rhubarb.

Here's a map of the location of the house.
Vinyl sided Bungalow with side drive to a garage. There is a deck in front and in back.
There is an updated bath with a whirlpool tub.  


1347 South 90th Street
West Allis, Wisconsin 53214

MLS #1350440

3 Bedrooms
1 Full Bath
1,056 square feet
1 Car Garage

$93,500 

General Information
Bedrooms 3
Baths Full: 1
 Est Total Sq Ft 1,056

Room Dimensions
Living Room    10x20   Main
Kitchen8x10Main 
Master Bedroom11x16Upper 
Bedroom #29x10Main 
Bedroom #38x10Main 
Other Room #18x12Upper







Listing courtesy of: 

3 comments:

  1. Jan,
    This home reminds me of our first home we bought , remodeled and flipped!!
    With a little elbow grease this home can come to life..
    It has beautiful character and charm, and what a great price!!!
    It is definitely one I would love to work on....Only problem its in Milwaukee ....
    My husband calls them my play-grounds.. Ha Ha.....
    Great post Im sure lots of wonderful memories were made their ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan, This is a great house and I can just see how the life was there when you and your siblings were kids with your grandmother upstairs. It has such wonderful charm. Do you still feel like it is a bit yours?? I feel this way about my childhood home.
    With some love and care, it could really come back to it's glory. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great afternoon.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an adorable house and so full of good memories; the very best kind! Visiting via Celestina and enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete