Saturday, March 9, 2019

Karaoke


Who likes to go to or sing at Karaoke?

I do!!

From sometime in the early 90's through 2004, I had my weekly "haunts" that I frequented to sing and visit with friends.  I loved it.  It was a place to go after work [I worked until 9pm, sometimes later].  At that time I sang alot of songs by Reba McEntire.  That was when she sang higher than she does now.  I felt most comfortable singing slow songs...but, managed a few fast songs in there too.  I did duets with other singers...and even dated one for a while.  I had my own Karaoke CD's too.  Those are CD's with just background music with some back-up vocals and the songs sung by other singers for learning.

Fast forward to 2005, when I moved to Michigan to marry.  I moved there in April.  From then on until I moved back to Milwaukee in June 2018, I never enjoyed another Karaoke night.

Why?

My husband and I never or seldom went out at night after we were married.  Although as my fiance, he did accompany me to my Karaoke nights when he visited me in Wisconsin...and we both enjoyed them.

Since being back in Wisconsin, I have been going out for Karaoke night.  My favorite is the one on Friday night.  It's near by...it's on Friday night...it's a fun group...it's in a Mexican Restaurant/Bar, where I used to tend bar back in the day.  Although it's changed hands since that time...I still "know" the place.  Quite a few of the usual Karaoke singers I knew back in 2005 still come out to sing at this show.

After NOT singing Karaoke in 13 years, I was a bit nervous getting back into it.  After having Bell's Palsy, I was left with a slight hearing problem and thought it might interfere with being able to hear myself sing.  I worked with the Karaoke operator and in no time, I was doing just fine.  During the summer and fall, I would attend every week. I had gotten to know so many of the regular singers, it was fun!  But, when winter hit and it hit hard this year, as well as many other reasons, I've not been there since the week before New Years' Eve.  But, I will be going back.


I don't sing many of Reba McEntire's songs anymore...unless it's an oldie of hers.  My song list contains over 20 songs, by a handful of varying artists I've learned...and sing well.  I love getting up on stage and singing, especially when I sing some of my more meaningful [to me] songs.  The audience [or part of it] quiets and suddenly people are looking at me and listening...it's such a high!!

What do you do that you love to do?  And are you good at it?  Do you really enjoy it?  We all need an outlet and Karaoke does it for me.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Jan! I've been trying to catch up with you! Wow, so much going on with you. First of all, I didn't know you sang! I'm so glad you are doing it again and enjoying it. I have been a singer in church for most of my life, but I don't sing any more. You're moving again too? I hope you'll find the perfect place at the perfect price. Thanks for popping in to see me and let's don't loose touch.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete