Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Food Stamps or SNAP


Imagine how difficult it would be if your food budget for the month was 1/2 of what it is now?  How good would you eat?  Could you make that smaller amount of money work for you, your family?  Well that's what most individual or families get in SNAP benefits.,,half, or more of what their budget used to be for food.SNAP offers nutrition assistance to millions of eligible, low-income individuals and families and provides economic benefits to communities. SNAP is the largest program in the domestic hunger safety net. The Food and Nutrition Service works with State agencies, nutrition educators, and neighborhood and faith-based organizations to ensure that those eligible for nutrition assistance can make informed decisions about applying for the program and can access benefits. FNS also works with State partners and the retail community to improve program administration and ensure program integrity.

When my ex-husband and I were together, before he retired our budget for food was about $80-$100 a week.  When he left, my food budget dropped to $60 a week and that was difficult to maintain.  

What kind of food budget do you have?  For how many people?

For the past year and a few months, I've been receiving SNAP since I am on a very low, fixed income.  My food budget is now just under $170 for the entire month.  It's nearly impossible to exist on that small budget.  But that's what I receive.  I do not qualify for any other benefits at this time, although my income is quite low.  I am glad I have that amount...and I'm glad that there is only me.
Are you aware that because of the Government Shut-Down, thousands of individuals and families will lose their SNAP benefits completely in February?

Do You realize that this could suddenly and easily happen to you?

You could...
*Lose your job and remain out of work for some time
*Get injured and not be able to work
*Your spouse could be in a nursing home or assisted living due to Alzheimer's, like mine.  All of his retirement income, including social security goes toward that, no questions asked.  Even though we were divorced in 2018, I get no support or financial help from his large income.  Going into a "home", your income goes to them...not a spouse or ex.  I even had to sell my house and move into a tiny apartment and re-home my 3 PuppyKids.  I can barely make ends meet.

So, please take a minute and think about that.  We're not bad people.  We are not lazy or stupid.  Life happens...and it isn't always nice.

If you have the means to help a Food Pantry or to set one up at your Church...or to help someone you know who is having a difficult time on SNAP, do it.  It's so rewarding.  I used to help our Food Pantry at Church.  I used to give restaurant Gift Certificates to people I'd see who needed food.  It always felt good...and God directed me to those who needed it most.  He will do it for you, too!

And...Pray for us.  Pray for all of us.  Pray this Government Shut-down ends soon.

Thank you for reading this.

2 comments:

  1. Let me tell you about my unofficial "foster" son, who I met in 2001 when he was transitioning out of foster care (I worked for non profit that served abused and neglected children / youths) and I took him under my loving wing, as he has NO FAMILY at all in this world ...none. He is a severe diabetic, and at age 38, he has now lost both of his feet; his left foot in 2015 and his right foot in February 2018. He was briefly married; I was treated as mother of the groom at his wedding and was so happy that he was happy, but when he began to get sicker from the diabetes 2 years into the marriage (they married 4/2/2011 and she abandonded him while he was in rehab from his 1st amputation in October 2015; I came home from a trip to FL to visit my elderly parents and found out he was basically sleeping on the floor of the marital home in the living room; she allowed him back into home from the rehab while I was gone but refused him a bed! ... we got him into an apartment in mid January and the week we moved him, he got sick and had to have right big toe amputated - I stayed with him post surgery and took vacation days off work so he wouldn't be alone post surgery for 1st week. Anyways, he is my heart. And he survives on $750.00 SSI disability. Yes you read that right. $750.00 a MONTH. That is what he has to live on. And Food Stamps, which because he was struggling to pay rent at the apartment we found in Jan 2016 (nice place but $440 a month too much for him but he loved the apartment and thought utilities wouldn't be much but they were, of course), I found him a smaller 1 bed room 'studio & a half' apartment; kitchen with appliances (many don't have them in his price range), little living room, separate bedroom big enough for double bed and dresser, wet room type bathroom perfect for him and utility room that we could use for all his tote boxes, his spare wheelchairs and his extra walker for $240.00 a month. Downside I had to buy him 2 ceiling fans as even with biggest window AC we could fit in window, it was stuffy in apartment in 100 degree SW GA and I had bought 2 floor fans already and biggest downside??? HIS FOOD STAMPS REDUCED by $40 a month because they said he wasn't paying as much in rent so had more money!! UMMMM His medical CO PAYS are were his money goes, his 56 Rx he takes & the copays for those, even with medicaid he pays copays - YES 56 Rx. His electric / water / heating is around $150-225 a month. YES. He pays $15 a month for a cheap cell and I help the best I can but I pretty much used up every penny of savings I had past 3 years helping him and now I have no funds for myself. So will he miss his food stamps???? OH MY GOD YES.... I warned him last night that the FEB money being released early and it is HIS FEB MONEY and not to use it yet.. My 'son' Mike is also ...a bit slow they used to say. He doesn't always understand. He is an adult grown man with a 15 year old boy's mind sometimes. So when all his food was ruined after hurricane and it took a MONTH for SNAP to get reinbursement money to people (and refused me assistance for replacing food because I made $100 a month too much) - I bought him all his replacement food right away so he could EAT. I do it all for love - I love him as my son. But he NEEDS HIS FOOD STAMP MONEY. Plain and Simple. A Loving 'Mom' ... Dawn Pinnataro, Georgia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry Dawn. I certainly understand. Blessings!

      Delete